Waiting for a page-load is a virtue these days. Have you found yourself unable to eat a simple meal without posting a few pictures of it first? Our cell phones have been like our appendages and tablets and televisions our second set of eyes. Since we find ourselves waking to light shining from our phones and virtually shutting down to physically sleep, more and more of us are making the resolution to disconnect this New Year. In fact, in 2013, 61% of American cell phone owners used their smartphones, according to Nielsen (up 21% from 2010), for texting, browsing on the internet, e-mailing, and/or being social. How to stop this exponential growth, step out of the “I share, therefore I am,” bubble, and be more present? There’s an app for that, and it’s UrgentCall.
Whether you want to shape up or shut down for the New Year, UrgentCall provides the peace of mind and time for you to step back and really reboot your life, without technology. UrgentCall is an emergency service mobile app that allows individuals to disconnect and be present in their daily lives. Whether you’re on vacation or in the middle of a project at work, you can feel confident that you won’t be interrupted by your phone unless a real emergency arises.
How can UrgentCall help you live in the here and now?
Here’s what it does:
- Users set up their 10 contacts that they want to reach them in the event of an emergency; parents, children, best friends, schools, work, etc.
- UrgentCall sends a text to those 10 contacts, notifying them of your new UrgentCall emergency phone number–so they can reach you for urgent matters.
- When an emergency arises, your contact calls your UrgentCall phone number.
- The app will verify that it’s an actual emergency.
- Then UrgentCall will patch the call through and your phone will start to ring. Your phole will not stop ringing until you answer the call.
- The call will bypass any “do not disturb” or silent setting.
- Even if your phone doesn’t have a connection, you will be notified of your emergency call the moment you do.
- After you get the call, you can address the emergency situation.
Disconnect from a Hyperconnected Life
Apps like UrgentCall can help those resoluting to disconnect walk away from 140 character distillations of their lives. If you’re recent definition of living in the moment is filled with hashtags, it may be time to try stepping out of the virtual hemisphere and into your own backyard. As social species, it’s no wonder we want to stay connected and up to date with all the goings on of our family and friends. This need to know extends to how they are doing, what they are doing, and where they are doing it, especially when it concerns their safety. UrgentCall helps navigate these concerns away from your mind and into your phone, while helping us disconnect at the same time.
There is an answer to living off “the grid” and staying connected to your family and friends, and UrgentCall is here to help you do just that.